Friday, September 24, 2010

CEDO 540 - Decision Making using Data - Week Two

The second week of CEDO 540 - Decision Making using Data finds us exploring terminology related to data acquisition.  The class was asked to distinguish between the terms census, sampling, opinion, marketing research, quantitative research, paid survey and questionnaire.  I took a long look at sampling and questionnaires and found that both need to be carefully thought-out before their execution.  Sampling needs to acquire data that is representative of the population and questionnaires should be carefully crafted to be clear and free of ambivalence.

I completed an exercise where I took statistical data from the CDC Web-site and examined data on incidence of deaths in the Mining, Transportation, Construction and Agriculture/Fishing/Forestry industries.  The data was available in Excel format and I had to clean it up a little bit so that I could compute the mean, median and mode and plot the data for the years 1998 through 2006.  The bar chart above shows a steady increase in the deaths per 100 thousand workers in the Agriculture/Fishing/Forestry industry.   Transportation saw a big jump in 2003 and has maintained that plateau since.


I have been enjoying a new site called Capterra which is a great buyer's guide for locating software.  Back in the late 1980's my company subscribed to various publications which reviewed software and provided company profiles.  Capterra has the same idea but it provides an easy to use interface for queries on products and it is free.  Currently, I am using Capterra to search for five survey programs (3 free, 2 paid) as part of the class assignment this week. I really like Capterra and any software publisher should make sure that their products appear in its database.

4 comments:

  1. I'm ridiculously jealous to see you completed the Descriptive Report assignment! I attempted to use the CDC site to look for data regarding diabetes...found data but not sure how to export into Excel. I've never used Excel to work with a data set...Like I said, I'm jealous...especially of your beautiful bar graph.

    I too really like Capterra's site. I found it well-organized and user-friendly. It was comforting to see the number of resources offered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completed the Descriptive Report Assignment, but I feel like there was more data analysis I could have done. Thanks for the compliment on the Bar Graph, I have to give Excel the credit for making it look nice. And, because of Presentation Zen, I resisted the urge to make it 3-D and add background images and such to clutter it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian,

    I to am a bit jealous over your success with the Desc. Report! I'll be tapping you for help today if I see you.

    I like the Capterra site too. I think it's interesting that you can't find out exactly who is paying for it! It just makes the cynic in my wonder!!

    Thanks,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, I receive about 5 catalogs/month, some pretty thick,and I just put them into the recycling container before taking more than 5 steps from my mailbox! I loved the Capterra site so much that I think there should be a Capterra site for EVERYTHING!!! All for one stop shopping and one stop shopping for all!

    ReplyDelete