Friday, November 5, 2010

CEDO 550 - Week Two

The second week of CEDO 550 has us exploring the use of synchronous and asynchronous tools for use in online learning.  Synchronous activities are those that are happening real-time with little to no delay or time lag.  Elluminate and Skype are both fine examples of synchronous tools which could help me in my online teaching.  As a corporate trainer I was often called upon to lead Webinars for our employees and customers.  I could use Elluminate for the virtual meeting place and its built-in audio and video bridge would permit a large number of users to be in constant communication.  Elluminate has a superb shared whiteboard, chat and support for break-out sessions.  On that last point, I could make the Webinar more meaningful by placing participants in break-out groups so that they might benefit from peer-to-peer discussion.

Although I would use Elluminate for Webinars and a virtual classroom, Skype is yet another synchronous tool which can fill a niche.  I can see using Skype for one-on-one check-ins with students.  In an online world I want to ensure that students are doing well and a good way to do this is by having office hours.  Skype acts as the virtual office where I meet and discuss progress and offer encouragement to students.  Skype is free so any student with a decent computer can reach me.

Asynchronous tools are ubiquitous these days.  The MS-Office Suite, Adobe and Google Docs permit multiple users to collaborate on a document or presentation.  Google Spreadsheet is free and students could collaborate on science projects requiring data collection.  How about Blogger?  I am using Blogger right now for my weekly post.  Just like in my MEIT program I could ask students to blog on certain topics and require that they respond to 2 other students.  

Some examples of tools and activities I could use for students are:

1) Wiki.   Almost all companies have an internal wiki or some variation. Students in corporate training courses can post reflections prompted by the instructor. 
2) MS-Word.  Students or colleagues could collaborate on questions posed to them as a group using document sharing tools found within MS-Word. I can also use MS-Word for homework assignments and ask student to return completed work in this format.
3) Prezi.  A new tool we used in the MEIT Digital Storytelling course, students could use Prezi to storyboard their approach to a presentation or problem. 
4) Google Docs.  Students can use Google Presentations much like they might use MS-PowerPoint.  The big difference is that Google's offering is free and has different sharing rights for greater collaborative opportunities.

A big part of online learning is setting the right tone from the onset.  The initial contact via e-mail or phone should be clear, concise and positive.  This past week I drew upon my experience teaching an online course for a pharmacy software program.  The main audience had been internal employees and I used a blend of asynchronous and synchronous activities for the course.  I crafted an initial contact e-mail that I might have used with students.  So what's the big deal?  Can't one just be like Sgt. Joe Friday on Dragnet with just  the facts?

Online learning has technical hurdles that need to be cleared but one needs to explain what the course is about, expectations and do so in a warm and inviting manner.  You don't want to be so sugary as to seem insincere.  It is best to demonstrate genuine concern for students and present a positive atmosphere.  This will diminish apprehension and open-up avenues of communication early on. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your activities and tools that you would use. I went the activity route with some overlapping tools. I think that sharing, reflecting and summarizing are important. It is also good to be able to get a sample or two along the way when it is a new or confusing assignment.

    ReplyDelete