Friday, December 17, 2010

CEDO555 - Portfolio - Week Two

This past week has been an incredibly hard one for me involving a lot of soul-searching about my professional goals.  Our main assignments this past week have been to create Vision/Mission statements and come-up with ideas for a culminating experience project.  Looking back at my first blog post, my heart still tells me that I need to make a difference with my life and education.  The economic and digital divides have never been more apparent than today.  The enlightened goals of virtual charter schools to serve inner-city and rural youth are lofty but in practice they seem to just enhance those who are better off in our society.

My first vision and mission statements had a split focus between corporate learning and public education.  I spent 4 days crafting statements that would catch both worlds, yet, I felt empty.  What is in my heart?  What is my passion?  What is it that I really want to do?  I decided that I need to put forth effort and challenge myself to help improve the lot of others.

Vision - Equitable education for all students that fosters  21st century skills through authentic experiences utilizing eLearning and blended delivery formats.

Mission:  Overcome the educational and digital divides by using elearning and Internet technologies while employing teaching best practices to create equitable education for all students. 
  • Design courses which engage students to bring their unique life experiences to bear on authentic problems.
  • Create collaborative training solutions that are authentic and relevant to students.
  • Utilize online, face-to-face and blended course delivery formats to maximize and achieve the best possible learning outcomes.
  • Employ existing or emerging Internet technologies which promote learning outcomes  and deepen understanding for participants.
  • Incite students' love for lifelong learning by encouraging and rewarding divergent thinking. 

    The culminating experience project proposal that I put forth needs to be something that stretches and challenges me in new ways while utilizing new skills from the MEIT program.  Over the past year I have helped bring technology and digital resources to the UW Hoofer Sailing Club.  I piloted a wiki several courses ago and it helped prototype what an actual Club resource could look like.  Since then, the University of Wisconsin enabled wiki-like functionality but it has yet to be implemented.  Could be a good culminating project for Brian!  Then again, aren't I really just helping the economically-advantaged and privileged?  But what about helping those who really need a hand?

    I came across a non-profit organization called Operation Fresh Start which helps school drop-outs and early offenders get their GED while they build houses in the Madison area.  I contacted them and asked if they might like to discuss how to help their participants practice and acquire 21st century technology and Internet skills.  I offered my services and I hope that I can do something with this organization and help young people improve themselves while getting their diplomas.  My heart and head is excited at the prospect of doing some good and making a real difference.

      6 comments:

      1. I have had the same a similar experience trying to decide the direction of my career. I have been in technology for the last 15 years. Now I am being asked to move up administratively. While I will still be overseeing technology but I will not be involved daily like I am now.

        I spent a lot of time looking for administrative standards that had some meaning to what I am going to be doing.

        I also had to adjust my culminating experience proposal from a technology focus to an administrative focus. I am hoping that my portfolio had a clear focus when I am done.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Brian - you have extremely powerful goals! I can tell that you have been doing a lot of soul searching lately because I can read your words and feel the passion that you have for really trying to make a difference. I hope that you find something that is as good to you as you want to be for it! Really I hope that you get some self gratification after all the work and heart that you are putting into finding what your next step in life is. When you do find it I think that you are going to do great at it because you have clearly identified what it is that you want to do and what your willing to do to get it done. Good job Brian!

        ReplyDelete
      3. Brian, I love visiting your blogspot, because I know that I will be reading someone's thoughts that often mirror mine. You and I both have had to search our souls to see what our hearts are telling us, because whatever we are doing we want it to make someone's life better. There have been times when I have considered leaving teaching, but then I remember the path I traveled to end up here.

        Keep seeking and I believe you will find your true path and the opportunity for you to work in that area with the passion you write with will come.

        ReplyDelete
      4. Brian, I read an article today about a teacher that failed to reach an economically disadvantaged youth who turned to gangs and then murder. He went forward with conviction to getting to know his students. Teachers and adults who care can really make a difference in a life and if they don't, the consequences to us all are heavy. Passing skills and technology is only the conduit for making a difference to a person or a club.

        ReplyDelete
      5. Brian, offering your services as you've done is great, and I think your soul searching has paid off. You seem right on target with your vision, mission, and goals overall. Further, your blending of formats in your vision is a good element for all of us as we strive to educate or give our students skills for the 21st century.

        ReplyDelete
      6. Hi Brian,

        I love your vision statement. It's worded perfectly, to me anyways. I'm really excited to hear about your project and see if it's a go for the final. It sounds like a lot of fun, and it seems to fit your vision and mission so well.

        Thanks,

        Mary

        ReplyDelete