Thursday, February 10, 2011

CEDO565 - Leadership and Planning - Week One

The new course, CEDO565 - Technology Leadership and Planning, got rolling right away as we examine the qualities of good leaders.  A theme from a TED Video we watched is that good leaders are the result of education and their values.   Patrick Awuah from Ghana described how poor leadership characterized by corruption and a sense of entitlement hurt the people and the economy of his country.  Awuah elaborates that leaders are not just found in government but are in the elite class of professionals.
 

So what makes for 'Good Leadership'?  What are the attributes of good leaders?  In small groups and through individual activities I explored these qualities.  The journey continued as I completed several self-assessments and reflected on my own personal leadership traits and 'virtues'.  I found that I am empathetic, humble and that I am a good 'Life Coach' when it comes to helping others reach their potential.   I am also big on details, possess a strong work ethic and have a creative side.   Keeping that in mind, would all of these traits be a good fit for any and all organizations?

OK, I haven't discussed Leadership Frames so let me clue you in.  To be an agent of change, a good leader should understand the organizational framework. The four frames are:  Political, Symbolic, Structural, and Human Resources.  
  • Political, as the name implies, is one with groups that have opposing or divergent goals. Resources may be scarce and their allocation is contentious.  Conflict is inherent in such a scheme and requires compromise with ongoing jockeying to keep the constituents pulling towards common goals. 
  • Symbolic organizations use rituals and company events to impart vision and inspire individuals and teams to work towards a goal that is not yet quite clear or readily apparent in day-to-day endeavors. 
  • Structural is where roles of individuals and teams are well-defined. The component elements have clear purpose and there is little to no ambiguity in what each entity contributes to the organization as a whole. 
  • Human Resources focuses on empowering the individuals within the organization.  Given the Lean/Agile business models of the 21st Century, companies seek change and innovation by distributing power to teams and team leads. 

In hindsight, I wish that I had known about organizational frames before I graduated from college.  I look back on the companies I have worked for and I see how they directly fit or contain a blend of these frames.   The challenge for myself is to review my leadership traits and virtues from the self-assessments and realize my personal strengths and limitations when working for any organization.  I now have a valuable way to evaluate organizational structures along with my own predilections so that I am more valuable and effective for any employer.

    2 comments:

    1. It’s interesting that you too focused on Mr. Awuah’s reasons for his country’s horrible situation: poor education, poor values, and a sense of entitlement. People must be taught how to think—logically, which should be in a consistent manner. Memorization of so-called “facts” does not produce people that can look at problems or the propositions of others in an objective way. Memorization of some information might simply mean that the individuals are good at memorization. Such people or students that memorize simple facts may be ingesting a line from their teachers that they are entitled to certain things rather than working for the things or goals they want.

      Although I too would have benefited from knowledge about frames earlier in my life, I see an overlap when working with individuals as personalities within that framework. When someone works with an artist, engineer, or even a teacher (and many others), one’s talking about working with a particular personality type that has chosen a profession based upon both inherent or learned skills, and a personality (a manner of thinking or being) that helps that person succeed in life, or as you’ve said, be “more valuable and effective for any employer.”

      ReplyDelete
    2. Mr. Awuah's speech resonated strongly within me. Although some of the poor leadership in one particular school system (not to be named) is somewhat corrupted by egotism and entitlement, I strive to foster independence and work beyond frustrations I feel as a result. I know my experience does not mirror Mr. Awuah's in the country of Ghana, but I feel the same passion that he communicated throughout his talk.

      Brian, I appreciate your drive to be "more valuable and effective for any employer." I wonder how, within my classroom, I can aid in instilling that sense of ownership in my students. The little bit we've been group-mates throughout our grad program, I have been impressed by your creativity, sense of humor, and your obvious interest in completing quality, timely work. It's appreciated by this peer!

      ReplyDelete