Sunday, January 17, 2010

Technology Tools in Review: The Digital Natives are Restless


The past six weeks of CSU CEdO515 - Technology Tools has provided many insights into how I need to change strategies for workplace training. One of the most important trends impacting my teaching is young workers entering the workforce. These are technologically savvy, digital natives raised in an online culture of social networking sites, gaming and instant messaging. Digital natives become easily bored with lecture and traditional teaching practices and become restless. Multimedia, Web-based research and synchronous activities are common examples of ways to invigorate and incite learning. A solution to provide more effective learning is to incorporate these very same technologies into classes. Not all workers are digital natives and the digital divide with digital immigrants must be accounted for in courses.

Another important point from the readings and class discussions has been the shift from a teacher-centric to student-to-student learning. The old one-to-many lecture is lost on the digital natives and more importantly, it does not foster group interactions. 21st Century skills required by employers dictate that students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills. My role shifts from being the subject matter expert to one of a co-learner and facilitator.

Throughout the CSU CEdO515 - Technology Tools course we experimented with technologies which may enhance the learning experience such as Web-based presentation software, spreadsheets, database and word processing. In individual assignments or as study teams we used variations of these technologies in a synchronous, collaborative environment. We also explored use of video and technology tools which, when appropriate, can enhance and bring greater value to the learning experience.

The course reminded me that I need to have a technology learning plan. If I don't have specific goals and time lines for developing skills, they just will not happen. As coincidence would have it, it was time for the Annual Performance Review at work. I was able to include goals for 2010 that reinforced my technology development plan.

3 comments:

  1. I felt the technology learning plan was a very positive experience also. Just taking the time to work on that really helped me focus on where I am going right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle in my fourth grade classroom of how to take the focus off of mee and place it on the students. Most lack the maturity to be responsible for their learning. I shudder at the thought of asking them what they are interested in studying. How do I planfor that? How do I tie that to the standards? How do I control where we go and how we get there? I know I need to incorporate this into our lessons but I'm at a loss as to how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work in educational technology and I don't have a learning plan. I never gave it much thought. I just always learned the new things as they came along. After this class I realize that I need to have a plan in place to increase my understanding and knowledge or I risk falling behind.

    ReplyDelete