Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week Five - Natives, Trends and Professional Development

Our class this week had me thinking about 3 main areas: digital natives, trends in technology,assessing and creating a professional development plan. In chapter 10 of Egbert, I was exposed to the term 'digital native' for the very first time. Most students are tech-savvy and are used to interactions with social networking (Facebook, MySpace, etc.), advanced cell phone technologies and that their brain structures have been altered.

Digital natives will require greater interactions with technology to ensure teaching is effective. Otherwise, these students become easily bored and drift. I was a bit dismayed to discover that I and other teachers are 'digital immigrants' in use of technology for personal, administrative and academic pursuits. Sure, we use technology for administrative tasks but there is much work to be done to incorporate into lessons.

I used an assessment tool to see how my practice stacks-up in the new trends and possible use of technologies. An output from that process was a Technology Learning Plan with measurable, attainable goals. As it would have it, this past week I submitted my Annual Performance Review at work along with goals for 2010. I included goals from my Technology Learning Plan for 2010, and now I am 'on the hook' with my management to see them through.

My company is radically changing the team dynamics by employing an Agile approach to software development. Agile has cross-functional teams collaborating on iterations of software. When it comes to collaborative software at work, we are systems-starved. I asked to be part of the software evaluation and selection process for collaborative tools supporting our new initiative.

I also asked to help our new subject matter experts create education events for internal employees and customers. I will create new courses that help students/employees interact and use problem solving and critical thinking skills to create software which meets the needs of our customers.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, am an immigrant. I incorporate so much more technology this year than I did the last two years but I have such a long way to go. Good luck with the Agile collaborations. That sounds exciting. It is nice to have to employer behind the initiative making success more attainable since all/most will be required to eventually participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    I's great to see that you are actively applying what we have been learning. It is an awesome opportunity for you to be able to participate in a collaborative effort on the job. I, too, was disappointed to learn that I am an immigrant in charge of teaching natives. I may as well be teaching them French, too! The good news is that we are willing recognize our deficits, enabling us to open ourselves up to change.

    ReplyDelete